Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Fugliest Sock in the World

Until lately I hadn't seen a hand knitted sock that I didn't like. I thought all handknit socks were beautiful. This last month I was proven wrong.

My BFF picked out a yarn for her Christmas socks. She picked a beautiful yarn, Fleece Artist Somoko in Blue Lagoon. See how pretty it is in the hank?







It's almost as pretty in a cake. I found the perfect pattern, Wendy Knits' Pagoda. It had a lace pattern in the front and was plain the rest of the way around the sock. Not too girlie for my friend but not too boring for me.







I was concerned early on because one sock seemed to have all of the dark blue & one had all of the light blue. I kept knitting thinking that the yarn had long color repeats & eventually the colors would even out.







I finally dug in the ball & saw that none of the dark blue was in the second half of the ball. My colors would never even out but I stubbornly kept knitting. I turned the heels and tried them on. That's when I really got nervous. They were hard for me to get over my heel & BFF has a larger instep & ankle. I couldn't get them on her feet.


I frogged the mismatched socks this morning. A month's work gone - I hope I'll be able to get my Christmas gifts done. I think I'll let this yarn sit in the time-out corner for a while. Maybe it wants to be a scarf or a couple of pairs of fingerless gloves.

2 comments:

Rani said...

WAAAHH! How horrible. (It's water under the bridge, but mismatched socks is very hip right now . . . )

I kind of liked them.

jo said...

me too, maybe they just need a different pattern...