Saturday, September 1, 2007

Blocking on a HOT day

Warning - this is a picture heavy post

Earlier this week I finished my Monkey Socks. These are the first socks that I've made with DPNs and sock weight yarn. I really like how they turned out. The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill in Martha's Vineyard. I don't normally block my socks but the lace pattern in Monkey needs to be blocked. I washed the socks & put them on blockers in the backyard to dry.



Then, I went to The Yarn Palette's Grand Opening with Youngest Daughter. The Antelope Valley finally has a LYS! They seemed to have a little of everything and are using suggestions from customers for other yarns to stock as well. We saw other members of the Knotty Knitters (hello Ann, Diane, and Darcy). Youngest Daughter & I made a couple other stops on our way home. By the time we got home it was 104 degrees.

The sky was starting to get dark & I remembered to get my socks before they got wet. One of my blockers were undamaged but the other one



warped in the heat. I thought that I might be able to flatten it with one of my teacher's editions. But then, I noticed that part of the blocker was over the wall.



I got some more books & put them on the patio. I was hoping that the combination of heat & weight might flatten it back out.



The sky continued to darken and the temperature dropped so I brought the blocker & books back in the house after 30 minutes. The blocker still looks as warped as it was.



Shortly after I brought the stuff in, the sky opened up to give us needed rain. It poured for about 30 minutes & was raining harder after these pictures were taken. We got really gusty winds that swirled around - not strong enough to be a tornado but it was still interesting.



Our power went out 4 or 5 times but never for more than 15 seconds.

OTN: Little Sky Sock from New Pathways for Sock Knitters (by Cat Bordhi) & Forest Canopy Stole. My other projects are on the backburner for now.

3 comments:

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

What did you like that you saw at the yarn palette? did you get any goodies? thankyou for the care package everything in it was so awesome You Rock!!!

Dawn said...

East Lancaster - we didn't get any rain..a couple of sprinkles but we had tornado winds, couldn't even see our backyard or front. Weird! Wish we'd had the rain!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

The Monkey socks are gorgeous would love to make a pair someday.Your socks rock!!!!