Sunday, August 19, 2007

Booga Bag





At first I had mixed feelings about Noro Kureyon yarn. The colors were very intense. This is colorway 170. Isn't it beautiful?

As I wound the skeins into balls, I was disappointed with how the yarn felt. It was itchy & scratchy. Only 1 of the 3 balls didn't have any breaks in the yarn. One ball had 3 breaks in the 90 yards. Very frustrating. . . .

When I was knitting, I was surprised that the Kureyon is listed as a worsted weight. Parts of the yarn was nearly as thin as sock weight & other parts were super bulky. Those parts reminded me of unspun roving. Did I get a bad batch or is it a "design feature" of this yarn?

The last picture is my finished bag. It is supposed to be a Christmas present but I want to keep it. It took 2 complete heavy duty wash cycles to get it felted. All of that washing made the bag nice & soft. I think it would still be itchy directly against my skin.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi! I've made this bag a couple of times. The first was made with Noro. Mine wasn't broken anywhere...itchy yes until felted...did have a range of widths while knitting too. Also it will pill a lot and need to be groomed!:) This is one of my favorite bags! The other one I did out of Malabrigo and love it!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Gorgeous!!!! so want to make one now in those colors are you going to put the pin from jamie on it? a glass button in blues and purples would look awesome are you going to line the inside? yummers must see if I have these colors in my stash of noro I have set aside to do the lizard ridge blanket.lol Darcy

jo said...

i've heard similar comments re: noro from other knitters who saw the gorgeous colours and the big price tags and were then disappointed. myself included.

in the future i would recommend (as a great alterKNITive to noro) Diakemetko (spelling?) yarns which are quite comparable to noro in colour, but i felt they were a better quality. Uniform thickness (with one small exception) and MUCH SOFTER AND SMOOTHER than Noro.

Diak...whatever is a japanese yarn and i belive it is supplied by dancing fibers. but i know they carry it at simply knitting in scv which is where i got all of mine.