Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Crazies

My month of crazyness is almost over. The beginning of a school year is always hard for me. I spend the week before I go back working in my room - most of it is nervous energy. Students are always surprised that teachers have the same worries & fears that they do before school starts. Will my students like me? Are they nice? etc. Of course, 8th grade students won't admit that are nervous too.

We had a week of training before school started. Teachers are the worst students. I'm amazed at the number of teachers that will sit & talk & play around when someone else is presenting. They would never allow that kind of behavior from their students. I tried very hard to be a model student but this last training was really boring. There's nothing worse than sitting through someone telling us what makes good teaching while they are doing the exact opposite! At least we learned what not to do!

I love to plan for the school year. But, I never seem to do the same things twice so it's a lot of work especially since I change things a couple of times. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. For the last 5 years, I've been the math department chairperson. This year I'm the department head for social studies. So, I not only need to plan my school year, I have to plan out stuff for the entire department. I enjoy doing it but this year was more challenging because I found out a couple of days before school started that I'd be chairing social studies. I had to race to become famliar with the texts and supplemental materials. New teachers were wanting help & I felt so unprepared. The first week of school was spent planning my lessons & making sure everyone in my department had the stuff they needed.

By the second week things are starting to settle down. I always spend several hours preparing for Back to School NIght. I am more nervous talking to parents than I am talking to kids. My planning helps me feel better. So, tonight's the night. After 8 tonight, things will settle down for me.

With all of stress starting the beginning of the school year, I've had several yarn & knitting related purchases. I'm dreading what hubby's going to say as the packages & then the credit card statements start to arrive.

Enough of the whining. On to the knitting content.











I received this month's package from the Under Cover Club. What a beautiful shade of blue. Two sets of point protectors were included with this mailing.


More stuff later.

1 comment:

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I understand this I just went to the santa monica fiber festival and spent alot of money but I had such a good time:) Darcy